It is tax season again! This time of year, scammers often impersonate IRS or State Franchise Tax Board officials in an attempt to steal your identity or access your financial information.
Here are some tips to avoid falling victim to these scams:
The IRS or CA FTB will not:
- Call to demand an immediate payment.
- Ask for bank account, credit, or debit card information over the phone.
- Call and threaten legal action or to contact local authorities.
- Require you to use a specific payment method, such as a prepaid debit card
If you get a suspicious email:
- Do NOT reply to the message.
- Forward the email to email@example.com, then delete it.
- Don’t open any attachments or click on any links.
For more information about how to protect yourself and what to look out for please visit:
California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
IRS Fraud Reporting
Thank you for this opportunity to be of service.